Library / Learning Center
WHO WE ARE
Welcome to the Balch Springs Library – Learning Center located at 12450 Elam Rd., just two blocks east of I-635 in Balch Springs, Texas. Our library specializes in friendly individualized service and we welcome you to come by and let our professional staff serve you. Have a question? Call 972-913-3000 for more information or to speak to a librarian.
The Balch Springs Library - Learning Center is the gateway to learning in our community by providing educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs to the entire community in an atmosphere that is welcoming and respectful.
The library offers free services to card holders who will have access to a variety of resources such as books, audiobooks, DVD’s, computers, Internet, Wi-Fi and much more. In addition, the library offers online resources for all ages including:
· Freegal – Download and stream thousands of great songs for FREE!
· Overdrive – eBooks, audiobooks and movies for downloading to your personal device.
· TexShare Databases – access online learning resources such as small engine repair manuals, health and business information, legal forms, popular magazines, genealogy or job and career information.
· Job & Career Accelerator – Do you need a professional resume or cover letter? The Resume Builder is easy to use! You can also explore careers in culinary arts, healthcare, teaching, and law enforcement.
· Mango Languages - an interactive online foreign language course that provides library patrons access to over 80 different languages, including ESL for Spanish speaking patrons. The program can be accessed from home, phone or the library.
· Dallas Metro News Collection – Explore news and information from reliable news sources spanning the Dallas metro area. Log in with your library card number.
To access these and many other online resources please visit www.balchspringslibrary.org
Need a job? We can help! Come visit the Workforce Development lab at the Balch Springs Library - Learning Center. Friendly, helpful staff is available all day Monday through Friday to help you with your workforce needs. We offer one-on-one assistance with resumes, online job applications, and interview coaching. You can take in-person technology classes or online job training to grow your current skill set.
We also have a variety of resources for entrepreneurs including workshops, demographics and marketing databases, and legal guides to start or grow your own business. Like us on Facebook at Workforce Development @ the Library to see up-to-date class calendars, local hiring events, and success stories.
- Goal 1: To serve all residents of the community and the surrounding region.
- Goal 2: To acquire and provide to all residents of the community of Balch Springs a wide assortment of books, periodicals, audio visual and general learning material that reflects the diverse cultural needs of the community.
- Goal 3: To acquire and provide as many requested materials as possible upon demand to be used locally.
- Goal 4: To foster a love of reading in children so they become lifelong learners.
- Goal 5: To provide learning resources and staff support for a workforce development program.
- Goal 6: To maintain and grow the local history collection and support the efforts of the History Committee by constantly seeking historical information about Balch Springs. Goal 7: Provide staff support to offer a wide variety of educational programs that are informative and relevant to meet the growing needs of the community.
- Goal 8: To maintain a leading edge on technological advances of the future and to implement them in the library and learning center.
- Goal 9: To maintain the library facility so that it is welcoming and pleasant to visitors and staff.