Subdivision Ordinance Re-Write Update
Welcome to the City of Balch Springs Subdivision Ordinance
We’re looking to engage our residents, property and business owners, and all who have a stake in the future of Balch Springs. The Subdivision Ordinance Re-write Update Project, initiated in August 2018 and made official as a project goal of the City of Balch Springs 2036 Comprehensive Plan adoption on February 22, 2016, is a complete update of the City of Balch Springs Subdivision Ordinance regulations. The City’s subdivision regulations are critical to maintaining the character and growth of our community. The Subdivision Ordinance will build upon the foundation of the 2036 Balch Springs Comprehensive Plan.
The City of Balch Springs with the assistance of planning consultant firm (Freese & Nichols) began work on a rewrite update to its Subdivision Ordinance in 2018.
What are Subdivision regulations?
This Subdivision Ordinance and subdivision regulations are adopted pursuant to the authority granted by the U.S. Constitution, the Texas Constitution, and the laws of the State of Texas, specifically including Chapter 212 of the Texas Local Government Code. All property subdivided into lots, blocks, or streets, or property to be re-subdivided, within the City Limits or within its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) shall hereafter be laid out subject to the approval of the City as outlined within this Subdivision Ordinance.
The purpose of the Subdivision Ordinance Regulations is to provide for the orderly, safe and healthful development of the area within the city and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) or adjacent unincorporated land. The Subdivision Ordinance will also strive to promote the health, safety and general welfare of the community by establishing orderly policies and procedures to guide development. The primary purpose of the update and rewrite to the Subdivision Ordinance is to provide for the establishment of minimum specifications for construction and engineering design criteria for public infrastructure reducing inconveniences to residents of the
Why is it important?
It is hereby declared to be the policy of the City to consider the subdivision and development of land, as subject to the control of the City, in order to carry out the purpose of the Comprehensive
What are the goals of the Subdivision Ordinance Re-Write?
- Ensure that development of land and subdivisions shall be of such nature, shape
andlocation that utilization will not impair the general welfare
- Protect against the dangers of fires, floods, erosion, landslides, or other such menaces
- Provide proper utilities and services for adequate drainage, water supply, and disposal of sanitary and industrial waste; to furnish adequate sites, convenient to schools, parks, playgrounds, and other community services, respecting topography and existing vegetation so that the natural beauty of the land shall be preserved
- Coordinate new development realistically and harmoniously with existing development
- Protect and conserve the value of land throughout the City
- Provide the most beneficial circulation of vehicle and pedestrian traffic throughout the City, and to provide for the proper location and width of streets
- Establish reasonable standards of design and procedures for the development and redevelopment, provide for the orderly layout and use of land
- Ensure proper legal descriptions and documentation of subdivided land
Subdivision Ordinance Rewrite
The Subdivision Ordinance is organized as follows: See attached links below
- Section One-General Provisions
- Section Two-Decision-Maker Authority
- Section Three-Application Submitter Processing and Procedures
- Section Four-Plats and Platting Procedures
- Section Five-Construction Plans and Procedures
- Section Six- Subdivision Design Standards
- Section Seven-Relief from Subdivision Design Standards
- Section Eight-Definitions