Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a new question
Animal Control
How do I adopt a pet?

You may call or visit the shelter to inquire about animals available for adoption.

Back to top
What is the cost to adopt a pet?

The cost for adopting a dog or cat is $35.00. Wednesday adoption special is $10.00. All dogs and cats adopted from an animal shelter must be sterilized no later than 30 days from the adoption date, in accordance with Texas State Law Chapter 828 of the Texas Health and Safety Code.

Back to top
Who do I call for animal emergencies after hours?

For animal emergencies, dial 9-1-1. An animal control officer is available Saturday and Sunday for emergency animal control issues only.

Back to top
City Secretary
How do I volunteer for the boards, commissions, and committees in the City of Balch Springs?

Please fill out a volunteer form and return it to the City secretary.

Back to top
How do I request City information?

To request City information, please fill out an Open Records Request form and return it to the City secretary. Open Records Request

Back to top
How do I get a copy of a Birth, Death, or Marriage Certificate
To get copies of records of birth, death, marriage certificates, marriage license, etc., please contact the Dallas County Clerk's office located at 509 Main St, #200, Dallas 75202. Phone 214-653-7244. For additional info... 
Back to top
Code Enforcement
What is code enforcement?

Code enforcement is city employees working with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies and other city departments to facilitate voluntary compliance with city laws and codes.

Back to top
Why was my car tagged as a junked or inoperable vehicle?

Inoperable means not capable of being used or operated due to legal or mechanical incapability. If a vehicle on private property has not moved in 30 days, is dismantled or has expired registration and/or inspections tags it is deemed a junk motor vehicle.

Back to top
Court Services
What are my rights?

You have a right to enter a plea of guilty, nolo contendere (no contest), or not guilty to each offense charged; the right to consult an attorney; and the right to a jury or nonjury trial. If you plead not guilty, you will need to decide whether to employ an attorney to represent you. You may defend yourself, but no one else (except a lawyer) may represent you.

Back to top
How can I plead?

A plea must be made in person or by mail. By a plea of guilty, you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you have no defense or excuse for your act. A plea of nolo contendere (no contest) means that you do not contest the state’s charge against you. While it is not an admission by you that you are guilty, you will almost certainly be found guilty. A plea of guilty or no contest, and a finding of guilt, will result in a conviction on your record. However, a plea of no contest cannot be used against you in a subsequent civil suit for damages. A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the court that you deny guilt or that you have a good defense, and that the state must prove what is charged against you.

Back to top
What if I am a juvenile?

Juveniles must appear in person before the judge, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Juveniles do not have to take action on a citation within 20 days. Notice of their court date and time will be mailed by the clerk to the address shown on the citation.

Back to top
What day is court held?

Court is held every Thursday except for the Thursday that falls on the fith week of the month.

Back to top
Garage Sales
Do I need to have a permit for a garage sale?

- You must present a current photo ID with your Balch Springs residence
- If you do not have an ID with your current residence, you must provide proof of residency with a current utility bill
- Permits are $10 each and are good for 10 consecutive days.
- Permits can only be held three times a year but must be after every 90 days.

Back to top
Police Dept
How do I pay traffic tickets?

Traffic Tickets are collected through the Balch Springs Municipal Court, which is located at 3117 Hickory Tree Rd. The Municipal Court web pages and specific instructions are available online.

Back to top
How can I get a copy of an accident report?

Accident reports may be purchased at the Police Dept Records Desk or an open records request may be submitted.

Back to top
How do I get an alarm permit?

Applications are available on this site and in the lobby of the main police station. Submit the completed application with payment either by mail or in person the police station located at 12500 Elam Rd.

Back to top
Who do I contact if I want to solicit or pass out flyers?

For information on a solicitor's permit, contact the Balch Springs Police Department at 972-557-6000.

Back to top
What is a red light running violation?

A violation has occurred if, when while facing a steady red traffic signal, your vehicle proceeded into such an intersection without stopping and standing until an indication to proceed was shown or your vehicle made a right hand turn, or a left hand turn from a one-way street onto another one-way street, while facing a steady red signal without first coming to a complete stop and not proceeding until it was safe to do so and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

Back to top
What if I am not the driver/owner of the vehicle at the time of the red light camera violation?

Affidavit: Identify another Driver, rental/leasing agency, if the vehicle was test driven, sold and/or stolen. It is sufficient evidence of ordinance 2040-08 that the person registered as the owner of the vehicle was operating the vehicle at the time of the violation. However, liability of the owner may be removed if one of the conditions below applies and the Affidavit of Non-Responsibility:

•If the vehicle was sold prior to the date of violation, you must include a copy of the transfer of sale along with the Affidavit of Non-Responsibility.

•If the vehicle or license plate was reported stolen at the time of the violation, you must submit the police report number and reporting agency name along with the Affidavit of Non-Responsibility.

•If the identified driver makes a partial payment, they will assume liability for the violation.

•No record of this violation will be sent to your insurance company or to the Department of Public Safety Division of Motor Vehicles.

•The Affidavit of Non-Liability can be mailed or faxed to the Customer Service Center.
1721 W. Plano Pkwy. Suite # 105 Plano, TX 75075 (Fax): 972-422-7917

Back to top
Can I view the video of the red light camera violation on the internet?

The video is available online for 60 days from the date of violation. If you do not have access to a computer, computers are available at the Public Libraries.
You may also view the video at the Customer Service Center located at 1721 W. Plano Pkwy, Suite 105, Plano, TX 75075 by appointment only. Call 972-422-7900 or toll free at 1-866-527-9470 to schedule an appointment (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm Central Time).

Back to top
Can I pay the red light camera penalty by credit card?

Credit Card payments can also be made online at: (Enter city code: BLSPTX).

Back to top
Is the Red Light Camera Enforcement only a revenue generating program?

No. This is a safety program. Red Light Camera Enforcement programs have been shown to reduce red light violations and intersection crashes. Numerous studies from the US and worldwide, as well as the experience of many other cities, indicate significant decreases in red light running violations and collisions after cameras were installed. Other intersections not monitored by automated enforcement may also experience a decrease in violations and accidents as a result of the presence of this automated enforcement in other areas of the community.

Back to top
Will my insurance rates be affected by a Red Light Camera Enforcement violation?

No, this is a civil infraction that is not reported to any insurance agencies.

Back to top
What happens if I ignore the Notice of a Red Light Camera Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability prior to the 45th day after receipt of the notice is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at an administrative adjudication hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty within 45 days after receipt of this Notice of Violation shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $25. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings and entry of judgment against you may proceed.

Back to top
Who do I contact for water service to the City of Balch Springs?

The City of Balch Springs provides water service and can be reached at 972-286-4477.

Back to top
Who do I contact for garbage and bulk garbage pick up to the City of Balch Springs?

For garbage and bulk garbage pick up contact at 972-286-4477 to set up service.

Back to top
Who provides sewer service to the City of Balch Springs?

The City of Balch Springs provides sewer service and can be reached at 972-286-4477.

Back to top
Who do I call if my electricity goes out?

If your power goes out, please contact Oncor for assistance by phone at (888) 313-4747 or online at

Back to top
Contact Information

City of Balch Springs Texas
13503 Alexander Road,
Balch Springs, TX 75181.
M - F 8:00am - 5:00pm