MAY 6TH,2017 BALCH SPRINGS GENERAL ELECTIONS
Application for A Place on the Ballot (Click Here to Download)
City Secretary’s Office
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by the City Council. The position of City Secretary is a statutory position required by state law and the City Charter.
In addition to the statutory duties of the position, the City Secretary serves as records management officer and the election administrator.
The City Secretary's duties include:
- Posting City Council agenda's and workshops, attends all meetings of the City Council, and keeping accurate records of the proceedings
- Serving as custodian of the city corporate seal and attesting the mayor's signature on all official documents
- Serving as the chief election official for the City of Balch Springs, which includes being responsible for the administration of the City’s general elections
- Issuing certain permits and licenses for various operations within the City of Balch Springs, including alcoholic beverage licenses and bingo permits.
- Coordinating the codification of city ordinances into the City Code of Ordinances.
- Posting all legal notices in compliance with state laws and publishes all legal ads and notices for the City
- Organizes annual appointments to the various boards and commissions
- Maintains the Master Fee Schedule.
- Answers citizen inquiries and open records requests.
- Processes Requests to place item on the City Council Agenda
City Charter Section 3.12 - Passage of ordinances in General - The City Council shall adopt a rule which shall provide that no action be taken on any ordinance which has not been made available to the Council and to the public at the office of the City Secretary, at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to the meeting at which it is to be considered.