Form of Government
The municipal government provided by this Charter shall be known as the "Council-Manager" form of government. All powers of the City shall be vested in the City Council which hereinafter may be referred to as the "Council," except as otherwise provided by law or by this Charter. The City Council shall appoint the City Manager, who shall execute the laws and administer the government of the City in accordance with the policies and budget adopted by the City Council. The City Council shall consist of seven council members, five of whom shall be elected from single member districts, and two of whom shall be elected at large. One of the two at-large members shall be the Mayor of the City. Four of the council members shall be elected in odd numbered years and three of the council members shall be elected in even numbered years.
The City Manager
The City Manager, Susan Cluse
, coordinates all City operations and Staff, and has been appointed by the Mayor and City Council to handle the affairs of the City of Balch Springs.
Duties of the City Manager
- Administer the budget as adopted by the City Council
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the city, except as otherwise provided by the City Charter
- Effectively enforce all state laws and City ordinances
- Manage day to day operations of the City
- Prepare and submit to the City Council the annual budget and capital program