Open Records Requests

Public Information Act

Did you know that, under the Texas Public Information Act, you have the right to request documents from the City? The City of Balch Springs has designated the City Secretary as its official keeper of public records.

Requesting Open Records

To obtain documents, you must submit a written request (by mail, fax, email or in person) that includes enough information and detail about the information requested to enable the governmental body to accurately identify and locate the items requested. You are also expected to cooperate with the governmental body's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested as needed.

Governmental Body's Responsibilities

The Texas Public Information Act does not require a governmental body to create new information, do legal research or answer questions. The request must ask for records or information already in existence. 

The governmental body may collect a fee as prescribed by law or regulation for the requested documents. If a fee is not prescribed by law or regulation, the fee shall be the actual cost of duplicating the record.