- Municipal Court
- Dismissal of Certain Offenses
Dismissal of Certain Offenses
Options for Dismissing an Offense
- Deferred Disposition - This is available to dismiss most offenses if you are not currently on probation for another offense in Balch Springs. You must pay the equivalent of the window fine and costs as the special expense fee and not receive any citations for similar offenses in Balch Springs during the 180-day deferral period. You must request this option within 20 calendar days of the date of the citation. This option is not available if you were speeding 25 miles an hour or more over the posted speed limit or if you held a commercial driver’s license at the time of the offense. Some offenses may have additional requirements.
- Driving Safety Course - This may be used to dismiss one moving traffic offense. You must provide written notice to the court within 20 calendar days of the date of the citation. You will be required to pay the administrative fee and court costs ($169.00 if violation occurred in school zone or $ 144.00 if violation occurred in a regular zone) This option is not available if you were speeding 25 miles or more over the posted speed limit or if you held a commercial driver’s license at the time of the offense. You may only take the driving safety course for dismissal of an offense once in a 12-month period. Persons under the age of 25 are required to take a driving safety course to keep the violation off of their record. Before taking any course you must contact the court. The offense can not be dismissed until the Judge has granted the request.
- Expired Driver’s License - This offense may be dismissed upon payment of a $20 dismissal fee with proof that you renewed your license within 10 business days of the offense.
- Expired Vehicle Registration or Expired Vehicle Inspection - This offense may be dismissed upon payment of a $20 dismissal fee with proof of renewal of registration or inspection within 10 business days of the offense. Registration must be renewed for a full year and penalties must be paid.
- Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility (No Liability Insurance) - This offense may be dismissed with proof that you had a valid driver’s license, financial responsibility, or insurance policy at the time of the offense, with no dismissal fee.
If you have any questions, please contact Tammy Cantu at 972-557-6055.