- Animal Services
- Shelter Services
Adoption Fee includes spay/neuter, rabies vaccination and microchip.
- Dog/Puppy: $70
- Cat/Kitten: $50
If the animal is already spayed/neutered, the adoption fee is only $35.
Here at the Balch Springs Animal Shelter it is our main goal to connect our unclaimed pets with new forever homes. Therefore, when searching for your new pet, it is highly recommended that every member of your household, including other pets, meets the new potential adoptee to ensure a smooth transition and hopefully prevent the return of the animal to the shelter. Once it has been determined the adoption will be a good fit for the family and animal, the family will fill out all adoption paperwork and complete the adoption by paying the fees associated.
ALL animals must remain at our shelter until the following week when the spay/neuter surgery takes place. The new adopter will pick up the animal from: 1235 Northwest Hwy, Garland, TX 75041 on the scheduled surgery date.
Your new pet will be spay/neutered, have all current core vaccines, rabies vaccine and be microchipped.
According to the city ordinance Chapter 10, Section 10-52 - All dogs and cats that reside in the city of Balch Springs and are 4 months of age, must be vaccinated for Rabies and registered with the city of Balch Springs.
To register your pet you will need:
- A copy of your pet's current Rabies Vaccination Certificate
- Valid ID or DL
- $5 for each pet
How do I register my pet?
Registration must be done in person at the Balch Springs Animal Shelter located behind the municipal building at 3117 Hickory Tree Road.
Why should I register my pet?
By registering your pet(s), you will receive a city tag to be placed on their collars. If your pet is picked up by our Animal Services Staff, they can simply look up the tag number to help get your pet home quickly. Pet registration is a city ordinance and failure to do so may result in a citation.
Any owner redeeming an animal from the shelter will be responsible for the payment of all impoundment fees and any costs of veterinary treatment received while in custody of the Balch Springs Animal Shelter.
While we understand that accidents happen, owners are responsible for physically restraining pets at all times. In some situations, a citation may be issued for violating a city ordinance.
To redeem your pet you will need:
- Valid ID or DL
- Proof of a current Rabies Vaccination
If you don't have proof of a current Rabies Vaccination, you will need to get a Pre-Paid Rabies Vaccination from a licensed veterinary clinic.
|Number of Impounds||Cost|
Daily impound fee of $10 per day.
All fees listed are according to the Master Fee Schedule
Circumstance may arise where you must find a new home for your pet. Please attempt all other alternatives to find your pet a suitable, permanent home before you come to Animal Services.
We are a tax-funded, municipal animal shelter and therefore can only provide this service to Balch Springs residents.
Please contact the animal shelter prior to arriving to ensure that we have space to take in your animals. You may also email email@example.com to ask to be placed on our waiting list and we will contact you when space is available. Be sure to include a description of each pet in your email.
Things to know:
- You must show proof of residency in Balch Springs
- There is a $25 surrender fee per animal, +$14 for Vaccination and +$10 for Microchip.
- The owner must sign an owner surrender agreement giving ownership of the animal to the City of Balch Springs
- The outcome of the animal (adoption, transfer or euthanasia) is the sole discretion of the animal shelter
- We try to find homes for every animal that comes to the shelter but we can never guarantee placement for any animal
- The transfer of ownership is final and irrevocable and Animal Services cannot call previous owners prior to any final disposition
Owner Request Euthanasia
Making the decision to have your pet euthanized or "put to sleep" is never easy. If your pet is severely injured or experiencing a highly diminished quality of life as they grow old, it may be necessary to consider having your pet euthanized in order to spare them from pain and suffering. Please speak to your veterinarian for guidance in this end of life decision.
Things to know:
- All euthanasia is performed by injection by certified staff
- There is a $25 fee for this service
- The owner must sign an Owner Request for Euthanasia surrender form
- This service is available on Tuesday - Friday from 10am - 4pm / Saturdays from 10am - 1pm
- Owners CANNOT be present during this procedure and remains cannot be returned
- If you wish to stay with your pet during the euthanasia process, please contact your veterinarian.
- We are NOT able to perform euthanasia services on livestock such as goats, pigs, sheep or horses.
- If your pet is experiencing a medical emergency requiring euthanasia when we are closed, please contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal clinic
- IMPORTANT: We DO NOT Euthanize Healthy and Adoptable Pets.