Budget Information & Documents
The City of Balch Springs Budget is a plan of financial operation embodying an estimate of proposed expenditures for a given period and the proposed means of financing them for a single fiscal year, October 1st through September 30.
In early February of each year, city departments begin to prepare their operational budgets, adjusting routine operating budgets, acquiring prices for budget enhancements, and updating annual goals. The departments have a few months to prepare a first draft. The CFO and City Manager's Office then meet with all departments to discuss budget requests and clarify projections. The department are then tasked to make the necessary changes as discussed in those meetings.
During this time, the Finance Department estimates revenues, enters budgets for debt service, personnel costs, and other costs not related to department operations. A capital budget meeting is also scheduled with all departments to begin planning for those expenditures.
A draft of the budget is then presented to City Council during a workshop. Depending on the year and need, a few workshops may be scheduled before receiving certified values from the Dallas Central Appraisal District which is traditionally received on July 25th. The coronavirus pandemic has impacted the efficiency of the appraisal district to handle property tax protests and will thereby provide certified estimated values by July 25th. This causes the city to calculate rates using the certified estimated values rather than the certified values for fiscal year 2021. The certified values will not be made available to the city until August 20th. Because the City will not have access to the certified property values, the proposed budget and tax rate will be based on the certified estimated values.
The city will hold public hearings on the budget and the tax rate before adoption to allow residents to provide feedback.
Please click here to view the Budget and Tax Rate Calendar for Fiscal Year 2021.
Current Budget Calendar: Important Dates
- Wednesday, July 14 | City Council Budget Workshop (6 pm)
- Tuesday, July 28 | City Council Budget Workshop (canceled)
- Monday, August 09 | City Council Budget Workshop (moved to August 13 6pm)
- Monday, August 30 | City Council Budget Workshop (6 pm)
- Tuesday, September 7 | Public Hearing on Budget & City Council Budget Workshop (6 pm)
- Tuesday, September 14 | Public Hearing on Tax Rate & Meeting to Adopt Budget & Tax Rate (6 pm)
Documents for the 2021-2022 budget process will be posted as they are prepared.
Fiscal Year 2022 Budget
Fiscal Year 2021 Budget
Fiscal Year 2020 Budget
- Approved Budget 2020
- Proposed Budget 2020
- Budget Workshop Presentation_September 16
- Budget Workshop Presentation_September 3
- Budget Workshop Presentation_August 19
- Budget Workshop Presentation_August 5
- Capital supplemental report_July 29
- Budget Workshop Presentation_July 29
- Budget Workshop Presentation_July 1
- Proposed Budget Cuts_July 1
- Budget & Tax Rate Calendar