In 1958 the first volunteer fire department for Balch Springs was organized. The first fire station was located at 11301 Lake June Rd. which is one of the oldest buildings in Balch Springs still standing today. It was completely staffed by 23 volunteer members led by the first Fire Chief, Richard Hill. The first fire engine was a Ford Pumper with 1,000 feet of hose.. The fire engine was donated by the Dallas County Fire Chiefs Association, It originally served as an apparatus for the Acadia Park Fire Department which was annexed by the City of Dallas.
One year later the city purchased its first new fire engine which cost $15,000 and was the second apparatus for the department. Shortly after that in 1960 the Balch Springs ladies Auxiliary was organized to help with fundraisers and support the volunteers.
The fire department was relocated to 11929 Androck in 1961 where it continued to serve as a volunteer fire department until 1973. It was then that the city hired the first full time firemen and the department became a combination fire department staffed by full time paid personnel and volunteers.
By 1979 the fire department was staffed with 12 full time paid firefighters and had 3 fire engines and 3 ambulances in service along with 1 heavy rescue van.