- Library / Learning Center
- Online Resources
From the Centers of Disease and Control
- What is the coronavirus COVID-19?
- What are the symptoms?
- What do I do if I'm sick and think it may be COVID-19?
- How do I protect myself?
Trusted Resources From the Federal Government
Check on the status of your Economic Impact Payment
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention :: Coronavirus facts and guidance from the federal government
- Ready.gov/Pandemic :: Pandemic preparedness for your family and your community
- U.S. Small Business Administration :: Disaster assistance for small businesses
Trusted Resources for Texans
- To learn about the State of Texas’ response to COVID-19, where to find testing, and how you can help: State of Texas Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
- To ask about symptoms, travel concerns, unemployment insurance, emergency food assistance, city and state orders, and more: Call 2-1-1 in Texas and select option 6
- To receive 24/7 statewide COVID-19-related mental health support: Call Texas Health and Human Services Commission at toll-free 833-986-1919
- To connect with legal service providers who can give assistance with bankruptcy and debt-collection matters, unemployment applications, and other civil legal problems: Call State Bar of Texas at toll-free 800-504-7030
- To get assistance if employment has been affected by the coronavirus and apply for benefits: Call the Unemployment Benefits Services at 800-939-6631 from 7 am to 7 pm every day
- To search for local Meals on Wheels chapters that are providing meals to elderly individuals that can be picked up or home delivered: Meals on Wheels Texas
- To search for a local pantry providing food and resources: Little Free Pantry
- To search for local education agency facilities serving meals in the area: Texas Students MealFinder Map
- To search for community health centers, health center networks and other providers serving the uninsured in the area: Find a Community Health Center
Dallas County Appraisal District- http://dallascad.org/
Texas Health and Human Services- Texas Health and Human Services
City of Balch Springs- http://www.cityofbalchsprings.com/
Texas Dept. of Public Safety- http://www.dps.texas.gov/
Texas Dept. of Transportation- www.txdot.gov
Texas online- https://www.texas.gov/
Medicare Advantage- https://www.medicareplans.com/medicare-advantage-plans-texas/
Popular Library Resources
America's News Explore and stay informed on local and national topics, people and events in areas such as business, health, education, jobs and careers, political and social issues and more. Features a wide variety of credible, vetted news sources spanning the U.S., including. Also available remotely 24/7 on any device. Log in with your library card number.
Chilton Library Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Guides. Search by year, make, and model to find vehicle maintenance & repair guides. View photos, diagrams, and labor estimates.
Credo Research Database This great research tool is great for school essays and research assignments. Credo makes brainstorming easy with mind maps. Citations are also made easy with citations given in common MLA and APA formats.
Dallas Metro Collection Explore news and information from reliable news sources spanning the Dallas metro area. Log in with your library card number.
Gale Legal Forms View & print legal forms. Search for forms based on legal categories such as family law, real estate & property management, criminal, civil, bankruptcy & business.
Good Reads Interested in the latest news headlines? Looking for something new to read? We'll get you pointed in the right direction.
The Handbook of Texas Online: The Handbook of Texas Online is a multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history, geography, and culture sponsored by the Texas State Historical Association and the General Libraries at UT Austin.
Heritage Quest Discover your family history. Browse census information, obituaries, city directories, and other available databases for family information
Job & Career Accelerator Do you need a professional resume or cover letter? The Resume Builder is easy to use! You can also explore careers in culinary arts, healthcare, teaching, and law enforcement.
Libby Browse & check out e-books and movies. OverDrive is free for Balch Springs Library cardholders. Automatic check-ins so no worries over late fees. Check out popular adult, teen, and children's titles!
Library of Texas Immediately start searching multiple Texas library catalogs and other knowledge collections in one sitting.
Mango Languages Choose from over 50 languages to learn. Mango Languages is free for Balch Springs Library cardholders. Learn popular languages such as Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and many others!
Niche Academy FREE online computer tutorial videos.
Texas Heritage Online Texas Heritage Online provides unified online access to Texas' historical documents and images for use by teachers, students, historians, genealogists, and other researchers.
TexasLawHelp.org offers low cost & free legal forms & step-by-step filing guides. You can ask legal questions and receive answers from qualified legal professionals. Browse the Events Calendar to find Ask-A-Lawyer events and other legal workshops in our area.
Texas Online The official website for the Great State of Texas and provides instant access to almost 800 state and local government services.
Texas Records and Information Locator (TRAIL) TRAIL searches and locates information from over 180 Texas state agency web servers.
The Balch Springs Library, in partnership with the Chamber of Commerce and the Balch Springs EDC, is proud to announce its new workforce development program. Staff is now available to help with all your workforce development needs such as applying for a job online, interviewing skills, and writing a resume. The library is also helping with entrepreneurs and those already in business by providing workshops and resources to help you succeed. Need help? Call the Library at 972-913-3000 for more information. This project is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Texas State Library and Archives Commission. (2015) This project is also sponsored by the Balch Springs EDC Type B funds.
Job Seeker Resources:
Job Listing Sites
Workforce Solutions: Jobs Now! Variety of local job openings. Listings are regularly updated by Greater Dallas Workforce Solutions.
City of Dallas available positions Open jobs working for the City of Dallas. Updated weekly.
HCareers Hospitality careers searching site
ABM Industries Cleaning, maintenance, and facilities positions
ProLogistix Warehouse and logistics positions
Jobs In Logistics OTR and local driver openings
Resume Builder & Guides
Resume Builder Use this step-by-step guide to create a professional resume on Job & Career Accelerator: Resume & Cover Letter Builder.
Tutor.com: Resume Review Create a Tutor.com account or sign in to your existing account. Scroll down and click on "Drop Off A Resume For Review" and upload your resume. A career coach will review your resume and send an email reply.
Video tutorials on computer basics, internet skills, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Core Skills Center Improve your math, English reading, writing, and speaking skills.
Industry Practice Exams Practice exams and exam preparation books for CDL, cosmetology, electrician, plumbing, emergency services, nursing, teaching, and more!
GCF Learn Free Interactive tutorials covering basic to advanced computer skills, math, reading, writing, popular software, as well as business and life skills.
Resources & Organizations
Job & Career Accelerator Explore occupations, prepare for interviews, search and apply for jobs.
Greater Dallas Workforce Solutions WFS connects job seekers to employers. Visit the site to view local job fairs, worker resources, classes, and open positions. You can contact the Mesquite office by phone: (972) 329-1948
Small Business Resources:
Office of Veterans Business Development
Minority Business Development Agency
Webinars & Events
Women's Business Center Events & Seminars