Driving Safety Course
To be eligible for this option:
- Your request must be before your 20th day or in open court,
- You must hold a valid Texas driver's license or Military ID,
- Show proof of liability insurance with your name listed on the policy,
- You must not have taken a driving safety course within the last 12 months from the date of the violation, and,
- You must be charged with a moving violation, and if the violation was for speeding, your speed must be 24 mph or under the posted speed limit.
Defendants that are not eligible for this option are:
- Commercial driver’s license holders,
- Out-of-state driver’s license holders,
- Speeding 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit or
- Speeding 95 mph or over,
- Speeding in a construction zone with workers present,
- Passing a school bus violation,
- Charged with leaving the scene of an accident, or
- Any non-moving violations.
Requests can be made either in person at the court clerk’s office or by mail. Be prepared at the time of your request to:
- Pay $144 or $169 if the violation was committed in a school zone,
- Provide a copy of your driver's license, and,
- Provide proof of liability insurance with your name listed on the document you present.
Once approved by the judge, you will have 90 days from the date of the request to:
- Turn in a Certificate of Completion from the driving school you attend.
- Copy of your driving record.
- To request by mail, click the following link https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DR-1.pdf (SELECT OPTION 3A)
- To pay and print online click the following link https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager (SELECT OPTION 3A)
Violators 16 years or younger will be set for a hearing and may request defensive driving before the judge.